01 settembre 2005

 

5 days in Florence and I still feel like a tourist.

It has not settled into my brain yet that I am living here. Not here just to visit. Not going home on Monday. Living here. In Florence. Surrounded by some of the most famous art and architecture in history. Maybe next week, when classes begin, it will start to sink in.

No matter- I’m happy to be here! This week Katherine and I have been playing tourist with her friend, Danielle, who is visiting for a few days. It is great to have a reason to go to all the main attractions, and also good to sort of get them “out of the way” early (especially since we get in free as Florence students!!). I’m sure we will be back to most of these places with sketchbooks in hand throughout the semester.

So far I have visited three of the major churches: Santa Maria Novella (the picture of the basilica-looking building with the tree in the foreground), San Lorenzo, and Santa Croce. At Santa Croce we also saw the Pazzi Chapel (considered Brunelleschi’s best work- it’s behind Katherine and I in a picture). I’ve visited the Palazzo Pitti (largest palace in Florence, home to the Medici family for years) and its Boboli Gardens (the photo of me, Katherine, and Erin- another classmate- with the upright rock behind us) and Grotto (the photo of the room that looks like it has stalagmites and rock encrusted on everything). The remaining picture demonstrates the seriousness with which some Florence restaurants serve their pizza slices.

The best thing about Florence so far is its size. I forgot how small the Centre (historic district) is, until I walked out the door of our apartment building, turned a corner, and 2 minutes later was standing in the middle of Piazza della Signoria, the heart of the city. Our location is fantastic! For those with a map or knowledge of Florence, I live one block south and west of Santa Croce, and 2 blocks north of the Arno River. Unbelievable. On the streets around our apartment we have an internet café, leather shops, card/stationary shops, an English bookstore, and many, many restaurants/cafes/wine shops/and gelaterias. Within a few minutes I can get to the supermarket and the open-air market, and 10 minutes more gets me to school.

I hope you enjoying the photos- I haven’t had a chance to take pictures of the apartment yet, but I will soon. Once things settle into a routine here I think I will be able to express myself more clearly and write more interesting posts. However, I am alive, I am taking advantage of every opportunity, and I am ever thankful to be here.

I’m sorry I haven’t done much (ok ANY) personal emailing… but if you have news, please write and share it with me!

A piu tardi!






Comments: Posta un commento

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?